Tuesday, January 6, 2026

Nana's Introduction ;D

intro for rmst 202!!


Hello! My name is Nana :) I'm 20 and a second-year philosophy student. I'm an international student who has come a long way from home, not in terms of self-improvement, just in terms of distance, unfortunately! I'm from Mongolia, which is sandwiched between Russia and China; it's honestly a fuckass place. I don't mind Vancouver, it's an okay city. I do miss home at times, especially the weather. It snows a lot back home, and the weather is extremely cold. In Vancouver, it just rains a lot, which is fine. However, after a while of my long pants getting wet and nasty, it's just tiring. Sure, I'm partly to blame for not looking at the weather app before deciding what to wear.  


I kind of lost the plot back there! I’m not really that interesting a person lol. I like reading, which is partly why I’m taking this course. I like doodling, music (post-punk, rock, metal, etc.) and journaling. I try to journal consistently, but it never works out. I only end up journaling when I’m feeling upset, which ends up with a lot of my entries being extremely dramatic and emo, or just filled with pure rage. Video games are also an activity I enjoy partaking in, but I just don’t claim it as one because I’m not really good at any of the ones I play. People always say that you don’t have to be good at your hobbies, but I don't know if anyone really believes that. It’s also difficult to say that because I’ve spent so much of my life playing some of these games, and I’m still horrid. To give further ammunition against myself, the games I play aren’t even hard. It’s Minecraft…


It’s really shameful, because I wake up and the first thing I think about is playing Minecraft.



Anyway, apart from the first reason why I took this course, the other reason is that a friend recommended it to me. I’ve been in love with reading since I was a little kid. At night, I would read under the covers using my shitty Nokia as a light source. It might be the reason why my eyesight is so bad. I wanted to broaden my horizons a bit, I feel that I always limit myself to Eastern European literature and recently Central European! I love reading classical literature, as pretentious as that sounds</3



An interesting point was raised in class about feeling stupid when reading literature, it’s a feeling that I relate to heavily, not just within literature but life in general. Especially when it comes to my studies though, I always feel like I need to conform to this idea of what people think arts majors are like. Using complicated verbiage and being able to write essays effortlessly, I often feel inadequate compared to the people in my classes. I talk like a 12 year old and its like damn</3 Maybe I’m reading these complicated works to compensate for my lack of intelligence.




14 comments:

  1. Nana, welcome to the course! Did you do the pictures in this post?! If so, they are super cool! (Well, they are pretty cool even if you didn't do them... but they are even cooler if you did!)

    As I said yesterday, in this course there's no need to feel like a dunce! We don't judge or grade your blog posts on quality... and in any case, we are convinced that everything has something of interest to say, whether they know it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I did draw the gifs :) thank you! I’ll look forward to writing more blogs in the near future!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that previous comment was by me, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nana!
    First of all, I have to say your blog's style looks amazing! This is so cute. I love it.
    Also, you mentioned that when you were young, you would use a small Nokia as light just to read under the covers. I am so amazed because when I was a kid, I used my iPad to play games every night. And I never thought of choosing something to read. So you are definitely not lack of intelligence! I really think people who have reading as a hobby are smart and loves to think more and deeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was really worrying about the website design because I’ve never done it before😭 I think playing with the Ipad is an equally good way to learn or consume content as a kid, just requires a lot more navigation :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Nana! It is very nice to hear from a philosopher major, because some of my favorite courses here at UBC have been from that department. It is nice to hear from someone who has lived in a different part of the world, because I have lived in Vancouver for all my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PHIL classes are so wonderful! I quite like travelling and I’m grateful I’ve had the opportunity to do so! It’s wonderful to meet you!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! Your whole blog and all of the art is awesome! I often wake up and immediately think about playing Minecraft too.. It's super nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nana, your blog is so cool! I can't believe you drew everything here. I also think the point brought up in class is interesting. I feel like as students we're constantly doubting ourselves and wanting to get 'right' answers or good grades which sum up to our intelligence. I think the contract grading of this course challenges this idea and helps us focus on our learning! I hope to meet you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nana, your looks amazing! I've just completed mine and struggled navigating through this website myself hahaha. I can definitely relate though to the reading at night, I would always sneak out of my room at midnight to use the computer when my parents were sleeping. Unlike you I don't nearly share the same love for reading but I'm hoping or at least, optimistic to try these texts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nana. Firstly, I can relate in the sense that I feel a little stupid here compared to everyone else, especially as someone who is not used to writing a lot of literary essays. Hopefully through this course we can both gain confidence in our writing skills :). Also I love your blog style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hii Nana, I love your blog style so much! You are so so talented and I cannot believe you drew everything here. I hope we both learn lots this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nana, I love your blog! I love the colour scheme and everything. We have the same interests!! I also love doodling music and journaling. I definitely relate to feeling stupid compared to everyone else, im in engineering and whenever everyone starts using complicated technical terms in discussions and in general I feel like i missed a lecture or something. I think it's just imposter syndrome, i hope we all become more confident in ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nana, the drawing and the layout of your blog are truly amazing! Hope to meet you in class!

    ReplyDelete

conclusion!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so hard to believe that the term is almost over!! I feel like I'm not ready for it to end yet</3 There are still so many boo...