There were many aspects of this book that made me extremely sad. The discussion regarding colonialism and segregation was important, it was used to paint a picture to show what growing up under a setting like that was rather than to make a point (?). I mean there was obviously still a point being made.
In the very first part of the book we are introduced to M’man Tine and Jose’s relationship. It’s very sweet, we see just how much M’man Tine cares for Jose and how tirelessly she works to be able to provide Jose with a good life or rather to provide him the tools he will need to get ahead in life. Jose’s guilt he feels when it comes to M’man Tine’s workload and sacrifice is something I can understand. Obviously I am extremely privileged to even have the opportunity to be here, but my parents have worked their entire lives for me to even get to this point and sometimes I wonder if I can ever truly pay them back. Filial piety has always been important in my culture and has always been the ultimate goal of my life in many ways. The work that I am doing makes me feel like I am not doing nearly enough as I could be. I’m sure this is a common sentiment for people.
The chapter that dealt with Medouze’s death was also interesting. Being a kid at that age not knowing or rather not fully understanding and seeing the wildly differing reactions from other people, not knowing how to react or which is the appropriate reaction was also something that was relatable. I’ve had the gift of never having to experience when I was young enough to not understand what was going on. I think after this point Jose was at the point where his situation forced him to grow up. Especially because after this M’man Tine falls ill and he realises just how much her presence in his life meant to him.
Another topic I wanted to talk about was discipline and love, and beatings as a form of punishment. Discipline is different culturally but beatings being used as discipline never sat right with me, even though it was engrained into my culture. However recently I saw a video of a white guy talking about how it was the only thing that white people did right which was like I guess just not taking it and cutting off your family, which struck a cord with me? I don’t know, it made me feel a certain way. While reading this book and reading about all the injuries and beatings Jose took was really heartbreaking.
Thanks for your blog post! Don't forget to leave us a question for discussion :)
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that the chapter when Medouze dies and M'man Tine falls ill are certainly pivotal moments for Jose where he is forced to grow up and leave his previous innocence behind him. It is interesting to see Jose's perspective change throughout the book!
ReplyDeleteYes, M'man Tine is essentially a mother figure for Jose... though we are also told that she is not exactly affectionate. What about Jose's actual mother, M'mon Délia? What do you think about her choices and actions?
ReplyDeleteI really related to what you wrote. I agree that the book shows what growing up under colonialism felt like, rather than just trying to make a point. The guilt around M’man Tine’s sacrifices and the way discipline and violence are framed as love were especially hard to read.
ReplyDeleteI can so understand why the book made you feel sad! I There were so many instances that were so normalized in terms of constant scrutiny, discipline and just trying to survive day by day that lot's of moments felt tiresome. Especially when it came to m'man Tine! she tried to do her best for Jose even at her own expense till the very end- I wished maybe one day she could've had a life where things were looking up. Her death, even if I knew it was coming, was difficult to get through.
ReplyDelete