I feel so confused π I’m not entirely sure what just transpired in the book!! Something about identity I guess.
It’s really interesting to think about how much Jose gets wrapped up in this lie. At times it felt like he truly became the identity that was invented for him, and how much did he feel like it was true to his identity? Although by the end he seemed to have remembered his past, but his reaction to things and how easily he seemed to soak up all this knowledge he almost seems like clay, super malleable! But then he seemed to be aware of his past and of Angela possibly being his daughter. I’d imagine that would break the immersion quite a bit. He claims that this was all mainly a plot for revenge against Edmundo, but then why’d he get so sucked up into the identity of Jose? IDKKKK MAYBE I JUST DON’T GET IT!! π
IWhen people change their identities, do they still feel like they are still who they used to be or do they strictly identify as their new selves? I feel like when people change their identities its normally because they’ve witnessed a horrible event of some sort, or they are extremely rich and powerful therefore having the ability to do so. Since I would assume it would be extremely difficult and costly! I don’t know. How often do people typically want to change their identity?
I guess similarly sometimes I think about reincarnation in a similar sense, I’d assume you’d be born into a different body and be a completely different person. It always makes me sad when I think about it, mainly because I’d be losing the relationships I’ve had with people. My mum would no longer be my mum, and I wouldn’t know any of my friends and whatnot. Maybe it’s childish!! It’s not the same but it's still regarding identity I figure.
It’s also strange that people would want a very interesting or rich background, I mean once I remember that the people doing this are rich it makes more sense. Logically, the more common it is, it would be easier to get away with! Literally no one would bat an eye, but if its such an extravagant backstory I feel like a lot of people would be suspicious or maybe curious. One bad lie and it’s kinda over isn’t it?
Question: How can one know which aspects of yourself are really true?

"How often do people typically want to change their identity?" A very difficult question! But within the context of the novel, it seems that several characters seek to alter very specific aspects of that past... sometimes, it's not even their own past, but that of another member of their lineage whose past is inconvenient. Especially because that past holds a promise of the future, in a present that has changed.
ReplyDelete"How can one know which aspects of yourself are really true?" yeah, it is hard to tell. Most people get to know about their ancestors by been told, and it is hard to judge if that is really true.
ReplyDeleteHi Nana! I don't think it's childish at all to feel the way you do about reincarnation! I feel the same (╥‸╥) As for your question, I think most of the time we really can't know, or it requires much more self-reflection than what most people do.
ReplyDeletehi nana! cool blog post - I def agree with the attachment of my life and relationships in it right now and how that would ruin reincarnation being cool for me! I would miss everyone too much lol
ReplyDeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteI guess you can never know which parts of you are true. It’s more like the truth is what is true to you because at the end of the day your eyes are the only lenses through which you experience the world. You could see how characters resonated with their fabricated pasts so strongly that they began to embody it and almost have it fuse into their identities. So does that make their identity — even if not based on facts —untrue?
Ahhh sorry the comment talking about true and untrue aspects of identities from a minute ago is me idk why it posted as anonymous
ReplyDelete